Home > Dictionary: Letter N
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T W Z
CTRL + F to search this page
(slang) Tell somebody to go away, usually
because you're angry. fuck off, piss off
- She told them to naff off.
- He wished people would just naff off and leave
Nail down [Nail somebody down] (answer, date, time,
price) Force somebody to state their intentions
down, pin down
- I couldn't nail her down to
an exact date.
and nail them down to a price.
- He's definitely coming but I couldn't
nail him down to a specific time.
Narrow down [Narrow something down] (list, number, choice, possibilities,
search) Reduce or limit in
- They've narrowed down the list
- They narrowed the number
of suspects down to three.
(insep) Go into a place quickly or for a short
time. nip out
- She nipped in and said hello.
- I'll nip in next week to book an appointment.
Nip off (insep)
Go somewhere quickly or for a short time.
just nip off to the shops.
- I'm going to nip off early so I can catch my train.
Nip out nip off
(insep) Fall asleep unintentionally. doze off, drop off
nodded off in front of the TV.
was embarrased because he nodded off in the middle of the film.
Nose about/ around/ into
(insep) Try to find out things about other
- What are you nosing about here
- I wish you'd stop nosing into other
Nose out [Nose something out] (details, facts, signs) Discover by searching carefully.
- His job is to nose out unpleasant facts about
- He managed to nose
out some important facts.
Notch up [notch something up] (victory,
sale, record sales, contract) Achieve.
- Yahoo.co.uk notched up almost 3.4 million
weekly unique visitors during July.
band notched up another UK Number 1 single with their version of the classic
Note down [Note something down] (address, number, message) Write down. jot down, take down, write down
- Note down his
- We recommend that you find and note down the serial number of your device.