Dictionary: letter A
CTRL + F to search this page | + examples in Build | español
Not all the verbs are in the dictionary. If you don't find a verb here, try the Build section.
Some verbs might have quite a few different meanings. Only the most important ones are listed here.
Pay attention to the examples and the collocations.
- How will you account for the money you spent?
- She couldn't account for her absence from work.
- How will you account for such a big difference?
- I was tired and my body was aching for sleep.
- We ached to put our legs up and rest.
- The script itself is well written and well acted out by the cast.
- The new middle class liked to see its own dilemmas acted out on stage.
- When you read a story or a poem to your child, act it out with him or her.
2 express (fantasy, frustration, instincts) express your feelings or ideas
- He has become desperate and is acting out his frustration.
- Children like to act out their fantasies.
- This computer's acting up again.
- The children were acting up because their mother wasn't there.
- Add in the cost of the accessories you might need.
- Slowly add in flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until well blended.
- These are quite expensive though, by the time you've added on border taxes.
- The airlines themselves are adding on fees and surcharges as they struggle to cope with a decline in passengers.
- This just doesn't add up.
- Their economic proposals don't add up.
- The facts just don't add up.
2 calculate [add something up] (bill, expenses, figures, numbers) calculate the total sumar
- She added up the bill.
- You made a mistake while you were adding these numbers up.
- There should be a comfortable working atmosphere, one that doesn't discriminate and allows for mistakes.
- Don't answer back to your mum!
- Don't answer me back!
- Some Iraqis had hoped to see Saddam's elder son answer for his actions before a war crimes tribunal.
- Everyone must answer for his own actions.
- Applying for financial aid has never been easier!
- No credit? No problem! Apply for your new Visa Card and MasterCard Today!
- You can apply for a library card online!
- I heard he is in Kalatura prison, and I wrote to the government asking after him.
- The next day, her brother came to ask after her.
- I'll ask around and see if there's a room vacant somewhere.
- I am going to ask about to see if anyone has any suggestions of other products.
- They have written to the actress asking for her help in raising money for Nicaraguan children.
- If you're donating items to charitable organizations, don't forget to ask for a receipt for tax purposes.
- Anyone who sends a credit card number via e-mail is asking for trouble!
- Don't leave them standing on the doorstep; ask them in!
- Ask her in; I want to talk to her.
- Jerry's too scared to ask her out. tt Have you asked her out yet?
- This is the third time he's asked me out.
- Do men like it when women ask them out?
- I'll ask her over to dinner next weekend.
- If you can't face travelling, especially if you have very young children, why not ask them over to yours.
- Let's ask them round for a meal next week.
- I asked her round for dinner last week but she declined.
- I sold two of the houses we never used and auctioned off the furniture.
- She auctioned off all the jewelry that he gave her.